Prep School Education
A marvellous range of creative and inspiring lessons take place every day at Hydesville Tower Prep School where children receive a high-quality and well-rounded education in the following subjects:
- English (reading, comprehension, spelling, punctuation & grammar)
- VCOP (vocabulary, connectives, openers and punctuation)
- Languages (Spanish)
- PE and Games
- Topic (History & Geography)
- Design Technology
- Religious Education
11 Plus Preparation
We teach Verbal Reasoning (VR) and Non-Verbal Reasoning (NVR) from Year 3 upwards in preparation for the grammar school entrance exams. This programme of work is hugely beneficial to a child’s education regardless of whether or not they sit the 11 Plus exam because:
- VR requires a good vocabulary and involves problem solving with words, sequences, codes and logic.
- NVR involves solving problems that are represented graphically with pictures and diagrams.
Subject specialist teaching in Music, Foreign Languages and PE & Games is available to our Prep pupils due to Hydesville being an all through school.
It is recognised that homework is an important part of a pupil’s education and useful for consolidation and extension of work covered in class, as well as preparation for the next steps to be taken by the child. Homework strengthens the educational partnership between the teacher and the pupil and provides parents with an opportunity to share and support their child’s learning. It is also a means by which progress can be monitored. Homework promotes self-discipline and independent study.
You can download the Prep School’s expectations with regards to homework in the policy and allocation document below: